Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Fans vs. Faves

"I think the fans versus favorites setup is the ultimate challenge because we have the favorites who have obviously played the game before, coming in here with experience. But at the same time you have us (the fans) and we know their game. We know not only their strengths but weaknesses too. So I think that puts us at a huge advantage." ~ Alexis

Now, I am embarrassed to say that I have only seen maybe two episodes of "Survivor" in my lifetime. Judging from Alexis' quote though, it appears that she is suffering from the media trap known as "faulty beliefs". I am not sure if Alexis has come to the conclusion that the fans will win because of her being influenced by the media or if she has simply convinced herself that the fans will prevail.

Alexis' strong belief that the fans participating in this event will succeed over the favorites is a indicator that she may have been influenced by the media hence giving her "faulty beliefs". We either accept beliefs presented to us through the media or we construct our own ideals.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have also only seen maybe two episodes of survivor but I also believe that Alexis has some faulty beliefs. The fans may have some advantages over the favorites just from watching the show but if she believes what she has seen in past shows is all real, she doesn't have as big of an advantage as she thought she did.

Aimee Gerber said...

I completely agree with you on their faulty beliefs. The media has had a major influence on their beliefs because they think they can beat the favorites because they understand what they are thinking. Unfortunately they forget that they have to also be able to meet the physical requirements.